[et-mgmt-tools] Xen 'production' services - are we there yet?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 14:09:32 UTC 2007

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Aaron Lippold wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Reposted this since it got burried in another posing conversation....-
>>
>> I am going to be putting together a new infrastructure for the open
>> source group at my organization and I was thinking about setting up a
>> virt environment for my production services. Webserver,
>> development/project environment - i.e. svn, bugs, tickets, etc. most
>> likely trac or source forge - a gnu mailman service, etc. I was thinking
>> that, if I did this, it might be smart to double up in a kind of virt
>> HA setup. Do you know anyone who has setup this type of thing and how
>> they are succeeding with it.
>
> At my last company I set up such a system and it has been running for
> over 18 months now.  (It was based on a very early Xen 3.0, upgraded
> several times since).  Also plenty of hosting companies are running
> Xen.  For example,
> http://www.bytemark.co.uk/page/Live/support/tech/dedicated/xen_setup
> to name one of many.

To add to all the good stuff Rich shared -- I know there are several
folks on this list using Xen in cluster type setups too that may be able
to share details.   Also, Fedora Infrastructure uses Xen fairly heavily
for build systems and other tasks.  If you'd like to speak with those
folks, stop by #fedora-admin on irc.freenode.net or email
fedora-infrastructure-list at redhat.com ... I'm sure they would be glad to
share what they are doing also.