[et-mgmt-tools] Just joined list - introduction

Mark Nielsen mnielsen at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 12:55:55 UTC 2007

Greetings list,

My name is Mark Nielsen, I'm with GPS-FED. My contract is with the FBI
in Quantico, VA where we are moving away from the idea of one server per
task. We've taken Dell 2950's and have built what we call "service grid"
clusters using Cluster Suite and GFS. These service grid nodes do
nothing but serve Xen. All production data processing happens inside
VMs. These VMs are run as services in Cluster Suite, root disks all from
SAN LVMs and can be live-migrated, saved, etc. /etc/xen/ is where the
GFS part comes in so each node sees the exact same VM config. That's it
in a nutshell, there are some other cool things (like using multiple
bonded interfaces with VLANs virtually segregating the various
virtualized Cluster Suite clusters... nested clusters :) so if you want
more info feel free to e-mail me.

I'm introducing myself because sometimes I get the feeling there aren't
many people putting all of this stuff together in a production
environment. I'm looking for a two-way relationship here :) Help with
some of the challenges (how to manage all these VMs properly...
virt-factory?) and also because we have 3 clusters: test, production,
DR. These allow me the opportunity to do some real testing and file many
bugzillas. If there's any testing or feedback you'd like, please let me
know. The one caveat is that because it's an FBI network, it's
classified :( I can't provide any sort of direct access, but I can
import test packages and export log data and other debug information.

Any suggestions/advice/criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mark