[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler enchant problem

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 19:10:12 UTC 2007

Richard Abbott wrote:
> I am having some trouble using the cobbler enchant command. When I type
> the following 'cobbler enchant --address=192.168.1.200
> --profile=rhel4as-Test1-i386' on the cobbler server I get the following
> error "Cobbler does not understand 'enchant'"

Enchant was deprecated in a previous release, and removed relatively
recently -- it was basically a wrapper for several SSH calls (including
pushing a copy of koan and installing it), which could be better done
with SSH.   The main reason it was removed wasn't because of that, but
because it required having koan RPMs locally and knew about only one RPM
-- which wasn't good if you wanted to use koan against lots of different
distributions.   It played some games with Python paths and so forth to
make this work, but it really wasn't the right way to go, and it was a
bit strange to set up as you had to have a local copy of a koan RPM.

The solution is to invoke koan over SSH, or, if you would like to use
func (https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func/) it also has a
virtualization module that supports calling koan remotely to install
profiles/systems -- which will be much easier than SSH because of
simplified cert distribution as well as being able to address multiple
systems at once.
Just putting 'koan' in your packages section of your kickstart
eliminates the need of pushing it out with "enchant" ... if you are
using Enterprise Linux 5+, you can reference the yum repositories that
have koan in them in your kickstart file.  If you're using RHEL4, fetch
the koan RPM with wget and then install it in post.

Hope that helps!

--Michael