[et-mgmt-tools] Alternative storage backends for Cobbler / other features

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 15:56:23 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> So there's been a lot of interest around having Cobbler read LDAP
> recently, and possibly I'm guessing it would be useful to have it
> /write/ to LDAP.  I know several
> folks already have their own scripts to interface between the two.
>
> I'm thinking about abstracting the serializer code to allow for
> configs in arbitrary formats....

It's done (and available for preview now in git):

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/wiki/AlternativeSerializers

There's a example idea on the Wiki page above about how  you could still
use Cobbler to store to disk, but get /some/ information from LDAP ...
I'll leave it up to users
to find creative ways to use this.

I ended up /not/ writing the SQL portions (yet) as that would be a lot
to maintain and it seems things like LDAP would be more useful.   If
extremely large numbers of profiles/nodes run us into performance issues
(so far they haven't) there are probably better ways to speed up things
than that initially.