[et-mgmt-tools] virt-factory 0.0.4 released

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 23:14:57 UTC 2007

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Adrian Likins <alikins at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Virt-factory 0.0.4 has been released.
>>
>> Virt-Factory is a set of applications for managing a very large number
>> of virtual machines such as might be found in data centers or compute
>> farms. The goal of the project is to determine new and efficient ways to
>> control these large environments.
>>
>> Changes include:
>>
>>      * Use busrpc(AMQP) to communicate with nodes
>>

>> For now, F7 is required (AMQP being the main reason)
>>

> So this will be more of a RHEL-6 possible product than an EL-5 one? I
> am just working out which items I can experiment with here

For the next release we are going to be looking harder at supporting
other distros as an install base -- RHEL-5 is pretty much
that other OS -- this means EL5 RPMs, AMQP, and much easier ways to add
new distros to the  Virt-Factory DB over time.

For the most part, we expect AMQP to be available for those distros soon
enough -- It's already in Fedora, so that's why we are using F-7 now.

There aren't any other pieces that are really keeping us from doing
RHEL5 soon, at least in the area of Xen support.