[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler, koan, and XMLRPC across firewall boundaries made easier

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 20:56:08 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I've put in some code into 0.6.2 to configure Apache for doing a Reverse
proxy on Cobbler's XMLRPC port -- and I've modified koan to be able to
know about it.

What does this mean?   This means you no longer have to open up tcp port
25151 on your firewall to let koan through.   It can just use the
commonly unblocked port 80 and your other network admins/users don't
have to know any different.

The port 80 XMLRPC server endpoint we are using is:
http://server:80/cobbler_api

(As I was discussing earlier, we'll probably do similar for our pending
read-write XMLRPC API ... using Apache for access control/security at
least at first.    The read_write API will also be off by default --
that endpoint will likely be http(s)://server/cobbler_api_rw)

If you don't modify your /etc/httpd/conf.d/cobbler.conf, koan will still
know how to use the 25151 port.    If you install the RPM new, you'll
get the config file set up for the Reverse Proxy.  If you have an
existing install and want this behavior, just copy the rpmsave file over
the /etc/httpd/conf.d/cobbler.conf and restart Apache.  There you go...
koan over port 80.