[et-mgmt-tools] Configuring a cdrom

Michael N. Moran mike at mnmoran.org
Thu Sep 13 11:56:39 UTC 2007

<n00b alert>

Using my shinny new notebook with an Intel T7300 (VT)
and FC7 installed, I successfully created a virtual
machine running Windoze XP SP2 using virt-manager
under KVM.

The only hiccup came after the first reboot when I
lost my CD-ROM "device". Googling and fiddling led
me to delete-and-then "re-create" using the semi-installed
image. This allowed me to finish the install.

Networking and *many* Windoze things work! I *love*
seeing Windoze-in-a-window :-)

However, I am now unable to find a way to attach
a CD-ROM to install *other* software.

I've googled and searched for config files to no
avail. The XML config file in /etc/libvirt/qemu
seems to be created by libvirt/virt-manager, but
not read by the virt-manager, since I can delete
it and re-launch virt-manager and *still* have my
virtual machine configuration ...

I tried using virt-manager itself, but cannot seem
to find any graphical way to add a CD-ROM.

Please enlighten me that my joy may be complete!

Here's my config:

Fedora Core 7
Dell Latitude D830
Linux boogie 2.6.22.4-65.fc7 #1 SMP Tue Aug 21 21:50:50 EDT
2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

virt-manager-0.4.0-2.fc7
libvirt-0.3.2-1.fc7
kvm-24-1

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
"Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1