[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler-koan: installer asks for ip, netmask, gateway, dns

Adam Rosenwald thestrider at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 00:18:08 UTC 2007

I too have issues automating static network configuration within
anaconda.  I'm using a RHEL5 domU kickstart with the following standard
static network assignment stanza:

network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 --ip=<my_ip> --gateway=<my_gw>
--netmask=<my_nm> --hostname=<my_hn> --noipv6 --onboot=yes

I've also set --kopts='noipv6 nodhcp'.  While this works fine when doing
a standard (non-virtual) install, I receive the same menu prompt that
Jens encounters.  More specifically,

IPV4 -- checked on.
    DHCP is checked on.
    Manual is checked off

IPV6 -- checked off.

This leads me to believe that there must be additional kernel options
not mentioned in the documentation
(http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/ch-bootopts-x86.html).

Strictly speaking, our question belongs on the kickstart mailing list;
however, this whole process falls within the context of provisioning
virtual systems within cobbler.  Thx,

-A.