[et-mgmt-tools] virtmanager error when trying to connect on Ubuntu

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 20:01:25 UTC 2007

Cameron Macdonell wrote:
> On 17-Sep-07, at 12:43 PM, Hugh Brock wrote:
>
>> Cameron Macdonell wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm running KVM on Ubuntu and trying to get virtmanager running to
>>> manage them.  I installed virt-manager and other than a gnome
>>> warning, it brings up the interface.   I can see a single entry which
>>> is my host machine name.  When I right-click and select "Connect", I
>>> get a python error saying:
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line
>>> 205, in _do_show_connect
>>>     self.show_connect()
>>>   File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line
>>> 251, in show_connect
>>>     self.windowConnect = vmmConnect(self.get_config(), self)
>>>   File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connect.py", line
>>> 54, in __init__
>>>     default = virtinst.util.default_connection()
>>> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'default_connection'
>>> Does anyone know what the problem is?  Am I missing a package?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Cam
>>
>> You'll need the very latest python-virtinst package as well -- it
>> fixes this bug. python-virtinst is linked from virt-manager.org,
>> you'll need to get the tip of the current tree in Mercurial.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> --Hugh
>>

> Ok, so that got rid of the error, but I still can't see any VMs.  Is
> there some method by which I need to specify the VMs to virt-manager or
> should it detect any VMs that are  running automatically?
>
> Thanks,
> Cam

Well, it depends on how you have defined any VMs you are running. If you
have defined KVM vms via libvirt, then virt-manager will get the
relevant information for them from libvirt and display them in the UI.
If you haven't defined any domains at all, you can create them by
clicking the "new" button next to the KVM connection in virt-manager.

If you've created a KVM guest outside of libvirt, you'll need to
redefine it using libvirt via "virsh define", or manually place a
complete XML domain definition in the correct directory under
/etc/libvirt -- otherwise libvirt has no way of knowing anything about
the guest and can't manage it for you.

Hope this helps,
--Hugh

--