[et-mgmt-tools] virtmanager error when trying to connect on Ubuntu

Cam Macdonell cam at cs.ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 18 19:51:04 UTC 2007

Hugh Brock wrote:
> Cam Macdonell wrote:
>> Hugh Brock wrote:
>>> Well, it depends on how you have defined any VMs you are running. If
>>> you have defined KVM vms via libvirt, then virt-manager will get the
>>> relevant information for them from libvirt and display them in the
>>> UI. If you haven't defined any domains at all, you can create them by
>>> clicking the "new" button next to the KVM connection in virt-manager.
>>>
>>> If you've created a KVM guest outside of libvirt, you'll need to
>>> redefine it using libvirt via "virsh define", or manually place a
>>> complete XML domain definition in the correct directory under
>>> /etc/libvirt -- otherwise libvirt has no way of knowing anything
>>> about the guest and can't manage it for you.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> --Hugh
>>>

>> Thanks Hugh, your help has been invaluable.
>>
>> I can start the VM, but I can't specify a VNC option (SDL works,
>> though).  I keep getting "Could not parse VNC address".  I've read
>> some pages that point to a dependency on gtkvnc error, but I wouldn't
>> expect a dependency to manifest itself as an error like this (but I
>> could be wrong).  I'm using Ubuntu which does not package
>> virt-manager, so I've had to build mostly from scratch, is there a
>> config option I'm missing?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Cam
>
> Ahh yeah sorry this is a lot more difficult without packaging.

Yes, Fedora seems to be popular for most KVM users :-)

> I believe
> you are now running afoul of our newly introduced dependency on gtk-vnc,
>  which is a gtk widget that renders a vnc connection. You can download
> it from http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net.

I'll give it a shot.

> Where is the error showing up exactly? Even without the gtk-vnc widget,
> you should be able to make a normal vnc connection to your guest using
> vncviewer (for example).
>
> --Hugh

The VM won't start at all.  Nothing seems to point to gtk-vnc.

The libvirtd output is:
libvir: QEMU error : QEMU quit during console startup
Could not parse VNC address

Virt-manager pops up a console with this error:

virDomainCreate() failed QEMU quit during console startup
Could not parse VNC addresssudo echo 1 >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
sudo /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.21.150 -j MASQUERADE

the "Details" window within the popup provides this:

Unable to start virtual machine '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'>
virDomainCreate() failed QEMU quit during console startup
Could not parse VNC address

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/console.py", line
402, in control_vm_run
     self.vm.startup()
   File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 377,
in startup
     self.vm.create()
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 228,
in create
     if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: virDomainCreate() failed QEMU quit during console startup
Could not parse VNC address

My graphics line in my xml is:

<graphics type='vnc' port='5900'/>

I've also tried values 1 and -1 for port.

Thanks again,
Cam