[et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: virt-top 0.3.2.7 released

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 09:05:11 UTC 2007

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Farkas Levente wrote:
>>> [root at kvm ~]# /usr/bin/virt-top --connect qemu:///system
>>> libvir: error : this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
>>> virConnectGetHostname
>>> Fatal error: exception Libvirt.Virterror(3, 0, _, 2, _, 0, _, _, 0,
>>> _, _, 0)
>>> [root at kvm ~]# rpm -q libvirt
>>> libvirt-0.3.2-2
>>
>> You've found a real bug.  Virt-top is not very well tested against
>> qemu, or rather that should be not tested at all.  But I'll go and try
>> to make it work with qemu now.  Probably take a few hours though ...
>
> The patch to fix that particular bug is attached.  There may be other
> though, still testing ...

OK, I'm fairly sure this is the only patch needed.

I'm going to roll this in to the next (0.3.2.8) release later.

Libvirt needs works to support block and network stats from QEMU/KVM.
Virt-top won't fail because this is missing, it just can't display
anything in those columns.  The work as far as I understand it is fairly
simple, but also lower down on my list of priorities at the moment.

Another thing which virt-top uses but which is missing in QEMU/KVM is
physical CPU usage and CPU pinning.  I have absolutely no idea if qemu
supports this -- I assume it does through ordinary Linux mechanisms such
as numactl.  As for KVM, no idea whatsoever.

Rich.