[et-mgmt-tools] [ANNOUNCE] Cobbler 0.6.2 (pre) release

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 14:57:34 UTC 2007

Matthias Saou wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote :
>

>> So ... I'm uploading the 0.6.2 RPM's today for folks to have a chance to
>> try things out before pushing to the mirrors on Friday.
>>
>> http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/download/cobbler-0.6.2-1.src.rpm
>> http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/download/koan-0.6.2-1.src.rpm
>>

> Great! I'll be testing them today hopefully. A few points regarding the
> packages :
>
> - Why does cobbler require "python-devel" at runtime?

Woo, free RPM review :)

BuildRequires is a requirement that is added in Fedora 7. The Requires
can definitely be removed.

Sure. http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/download/*

> - Cobbler seems to be missing an excludearch ppc64, which koan has.

Technically, it's possible to run a cobbler server on a ppc64 box.
PXE may not work without copying a syslinux over, but koan would be fine.
See comments below about %ifarch with noarch packages and syslinux.

> - The License field for koan needs to be updated too.

You're right. Thanks.

> - You should use "rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT". The variable will never
>   be empty, so the pseudo-check is useless.

That patch was committed by someone who apparently needed it, I'm not
sure why.
I'll pull it if there are no objections. I don't see a reason for
keeping it.

> - The .gz suffix to the man pages shouldn't be included, since rpm
>   can be configured to use bzip2 or no compression, use foo.1*.

Sounds fine, though FYI -- currently the Makefile explicitly builds them
with gzip compression, therefore you'll never
get the bzip2's. I'm not sure how far back man supported bzip2's, though
space does not seem to be a huge concern.

> - Inconsistency between "/sbin/chkconfig" and "chkconfig".

Easy to fix.

> - There are two Requires(preun) instead of having a Requires(postun).

Good find.

> - Use "%ifarch %{ix86}" instead of "%ifarch i386 i686" to also include
>   athlon, i586 etc.

%ifarch apparently doesn't work for NoArch packages, so it makes more sense
to remove syslinux as a dependency and just have cobbler check notice if
it's not there -- or to just
exclude the arches we don't support. In fact, I thought I made this
change already but apparently I didn't :)

The alternative is to do the ExcludeArch on ppc. How many folks are
running Cobbler servers on ppc?
Probably almost none.

> Probably more. If you don't mind an almost rewrite, I could also simply
> take a stab at making all the changes and submit updated spec files.

Sure!

If you can seperate them into a series of smaller patches, that would be
great.
git-send-email is awesome.