[et-mgmt-tools] Re: et-mgnt] Cobbler and Koan for _my_ needs

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Sep 28 02:52:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Hmmmm, indeed, this works, but this makes things uglier for me.
> Renaming my system from 'test' to '00:16:3e:01:ec:2e' in Cobbler and
> using --system=00:16:3e:01:ec:2e instead of --system=test makes the
> virtual guest get the intended the MAC address, but :
 	<snip>
> When I run 'xm list' and see a bunch of host names, it's much quicker
> for me to stop/restart/connect-to any of the guests than with having a
> list of 00_16_3e_xx_xx_xx entries :-/ Same for the WebUI...
>
> So it seems to me that there is too much logic on the Koan side, which
> makes it impossible to use a friendly name and have it use the MAC
> address configured in the Cobbler.

It is not magic to do a look up from a hard name (a
hash, actually) to common name.  Is an RFE in order here, to
add a backend transation store, and minimal maintenance tools
to manage it? -- sqlite and just a few lines of code, and one
is done.  - or - add perl-DBI perlish hooks, and one gets
whatever backing store is locally convenient.

-- Russ Herrold