[et-mgmt-tools] [ANNOUNCE] Func 0.0.12

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 23:12:37 UTC 2007

>>     * Have you ever tried to manage a large number of systems with SSH?
>>       Have you wanted a better way?
>>

> Anybody who manages their machines that way (and thinks they are truly
> managing them) needs to go back to sysadmin school.

As I'm running a bit late and need to get going, I'll leave that for
someone else to respond to in detail -- but there are a lot of extremely
intelligent sysadmins running thousands of machine configurations out
there, many of which who are on these lists.   A couple of them have
been working with us to build this.   They've mentioned they've wanted
better tools around key exchange, and ways to perform one-offs and for
data gathering -- things that don't fit well into the cfengine/puppet
kind of models.   Lots of us who decided to build this think similar
things, and at least four of us have said "I thought about building this
at one time or another and never did".  So yeah, we think it has uses.
Configuration Management tools are great at declaring the way a system
should look, and are a great hammer, but sometimes you need an allen
wrench.   You can use both.   They are not competing.

Anyhow, this is part of the reason we're not putting func explicitly on
a systems management email list ... Func has uses other than systems
management, for other apps that want a generic key exchange mechanism
and modular XMLRPC framework.  That's what we're building.   We expect
all sorts of Fedora apps to start using the infrastructure, because it's
small, simple, and nice and Pythonic.

Does it have systems management uses?   Certaintly.   Is it a Puppet
replacement?  No.