[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and the ownership module, question about policies?

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 12:39:43 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> So,
>
> Warning -- technical email :)
>
> I have a pretty good ownership module going for Cobbler now
> (https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/CustomizableAuthorization), that
> allows you to say that objects are owned by certain users and/or groups,
> and prevents users not in those groups (except for an admin group) to be
> able to edit those objects.   This is designed for very large
> organizations that may want lab admins to control certain profiles, but
> not all of them (for instance, a build lab versus a test lab versus a
> production datacenter, etc).
> In this implementation, users in the admin group have access to all
> objects always, and by default all objects are created with no editing
> restrictions unless the creator decides to lock them down.      The
> command line has none of these restrictions so you can always
> recover/reconfigure things with root if you find you've somehow locked
> yourself out.   (It's also coded up so you can't use the WebUI to remove
> your own access from an object).
>
> There are a couple of policy questions for this dealing with some of the
> corner cases.
>
> (A) What to do about kickstart editing in the WebUI.   This is the "fun"
> corner case to figure out.
>
> The WebUI contains a very basic kickstart template editor (it's just a
> text field for now).
> Possible Answer1? I think the solution is that a kickstart template file
> can be edited if the user editing it is allowed to edit ALL
> profiles/systems making use of it.  This is a bit of a catch 22 as it
> would be possible to create a system using a template file, just for the
> purpose of making that user not be able to edit it.  This shouldn't
> happen but is technically possible.
> Possible Answer2 -- If you're not in the admin group, you can't edit
> kickstart template files at all.
>
> Possible Answer3 -- Remove kickstart editing from the WebUI, and
> encourage users to create kickstart templates where they have filesystem
> access (i..e their home directories)

For testing, I have liked the ability to edit he ks file and not need to
log into the box. If possible, please keep it. It may be heinous, but is
there a model where each ks has a security item associated to it (e.g. a
role) or ks files can be grouped and a role associated to the group?

> ----
>
> (B) What do to about "orphanage".
>
> If UserA owns ProfileA, and UserB owns SystemB, which depends on
> ProfileB, what happens if UserA wants to delete ProfileA?
>
> Answer?   The profile cannot be deleted.
>
> If UserA owns ProfileA, and UserB owns SubprofileB, what happens when
> UserA wants to delete ProfileA?
>
> Answer?   I think the answer is Subprofile B is promoted to a full
> profile with all of the inherited fields set to the values of Profile A.
> However this is complicated and confusing so "No deletion allowed" may
> be the better route.

First cut, no delete. Every time i have used nested profiles it was
becuase I had nested logic in the kickstart file. So. promoting a
subprofile would cause the subprofile to break.