[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and the ownership module, question about policies?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 16:34:31 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Slinky wrote:
>>

>> On 31/03/2008, *Michael DeHaan* <mdehaan at redhat.com
>> <mailto:mdehaan at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>

>> -slash-
>>
>>     The command line has none of these restrictions so you can always
>>     recover/reconfigure things with root if you find you've somehow
>> locked
>>     yourself out.
>>
>> Will this always been the case? We'd like to see the same ownership
>> model apply to the webui and CLI.
>
> Originally I wasn't planning on adding auth to the command line.
> Interesting idea.
>
> You could also perhaps get away with making a simple remote command
> line that only contained the features you needed and used the existing
> XMLRPC/CobblerWeb code as a basis.   It would have to accept a
> username and password, possibly from doing something like reading
> ~/.cobbler.rc or something?   If it didn't have to do things like
> "import" it would be pretty simple.
>
> There are more complicated alternatives involving ACLs and setuid (non
> root), but I think I like that solution better.
>
> Thoughts?

Actually the local approach may not be too bad either.

We make cobbler setuid to a cobbler user (not by default, but in this
configuration only), set that user up with ACLs on the right places, and
turn on a flag in settings that says "require_local_auth".  We make the
api module in cobbler make the same calls Cobbler is using for remote if
"require_local_auth" is on.  And then we require user/password info when
"require_local_auth" is enabled by adding some new arguments or reading
a file in "~/" (or something... yes, kerberos is in the running but we
must also support /non/ kerberos).

Setup will not be super-trivial, but we could perhaps make a sample
script to help people with that configuration.

I see Dan has this use case, but does anyone else?   I hesistate to add
to much to support niche cases, though often these seem to be some of
the things larger installs are sometimes looking for.