[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and the ownership module, question about policies?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 14:54:50 UTC 2008

> If the setuid option comes in though, we like this a lot. It means we
> start to move away from cobbler running as root....

Here's a third simpler design option for a non-root command line that
may not require remoting...  I'm a big fan of letting the OS
do the work when possible so this may be a good idea.

-- Set up ACLs for users that need to get access to cobbler data.   We
can come up with a script to do this.
-- Do not set cobbler up as setuid/anything, have it run as whatever
user runs it
-- Have the cobbler binary ask the OS for the logged in uid/username,
and use authorization rules based on that (such as ownership).
-- In this case, the OS could use whatever facility it wants for
authentication of user accounts.

We still need to kerberize the web services though for those who aren't
satisfied with the LDAP method, but this allows
you to have ownership and multiple users getting at the cobbler command
line as non-root, and you could choose your OS
authentication mechanism to be anything you want (including
kerb/LDAP/NIS).   Make sense?   This would
be relatively simple, and since the default authorization policy is
"allow all", it works out of the box without the user
having to configure anything.

The command line can easily check to see if the user has access to the
files in question and would report if ACL's are not set up right.

Should be pretty close to what we want...

--Michael