[et-mgmt-tools] "Snippet Groups"

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 15:08:43 UTC 2008

Aaron Lippold wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I did some chatting on the irc on this but wanted to post it to the
> list to get some feedback.
>
> I have some KS files already which setup and secure my systems to my
> organizations standards. I'd like to break up and generlize my
> processes and "scripts" - mainly in the post section - into smaller
> chunks to make it more flexible and manageable. I know I can do
> includes, snippets and triggers. The idea would be that I could have a
> "Core Set" of items that I could include into my ks template -
> OS::Lockdown - which would include / call a known set of actions. I
> could then develop other "sets" - MySQL, Apache, Oracle, etc. I am
> hoping that I could also then use those separable pieces after updates
> and patches to "reverify" the systems - assume I already have a set of
> scripts that I can run that will give me a list ( Item1, Item2, Item3)
> which require an action. With a little scripting and a "map" - flat
> txt with "Item1:OS::Boot::Action: - I could run each item that needs
> to be fixed again.
>
> I think this would be valueable because it would give the end user the
> ablity to divorce "interface from implamentation" as it were. It would
> allow you to use cobbler to also assist with maintaining the baseline etc.
>
> The question is which path to take. Thoughts, suggestions, "idiot,
> you can do that like this" would be appriciated :).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron

I'm not sure I understand what this would look like.    Could you
possibly throw out some syntax of what that might look like in the template
file and how the files might be layed out behind the scenes?

Right now snippets work as includes ... in fact, it's conceptually
"just" a Cheetah (Cobbler's templating language) include at this point.

SNIPPET::foo  just includes "/var/lib/cobbler/snippets/foo any time it
is present in the file.

Can you explain further?