[et-mgmt-tools] Looping through possibilities in a "snippet"

Msquared 1.cobbler at msquared.id.au
Tue Apr 8 02:53:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:13:46PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Ideally one wouldn't be assigning specific packages to specific systems,
> as the point of a profile is to make a configuration available to all
> things that look "like" something. Can you explain your use case for
> assigning specific packages to specific systems?

I can: I have two 'workstations' that run on power from a single UPS.
Only one of them, however, is actually connected to the UPS'
communications port - the other one talks via TCP/IP to the first to
determine UPS status.

All workstations have nut-client installed, but only the workstation
connected to the UPS' communications port has nut installed.

Granted, I could probably have a 'with-ups' profile based on the standard
workstation profile, but it hardly seems worth it to me.  :-)

Actually, relevant question: If I have a 'workstation-with-ups' profile
based on a 'workstation' profile, and add packages to the 'workstation'
profile, will the packages also be automatically added to the
'workstation-with-ups' profile?

(Note: I have not (yet) set up either of the aforementioned workstations
with Cobbler, but they do exist and they are on a UPS via nut - it's just
a valid use-case that I think bears inclusion.)

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:56:43AM -0700, Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

> I'm sure there are holes in that logic (one is, I actually consider  the
> "disk partitioning" a separate section, but it "officially" is  just a
> part of the "command" section.  Doubtless there are other holes  that
> I'm not seeing right now.

The original logic seems to me that you get to choose only one snippet
(system, profile, or default), but how about additive?  (Perhaps a better
term is inheritance...)

For example, with my little workstations-on-a-UPS example, the workstation
that is on the UPS will need the nut package added, but will otherwise be
identical to any other workstation (I would want the UPS-connected
workstation to inherit the same package list and configuration as the
other workstations).

Regards, Msquared...