[et-mgmt-tools] Starting again with a new cobbler server

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 19:20:41 UTC 2008

drew einhorn wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> drew einhorn wrote:
>>

>>> The the breed ooption is new, since the last time I was paying attention.
>>> How well does it work with a Ubuntu Gutsy or Hardy distro?
>>>

>>  Should do fine.   Basically all --breed=debian does is change the kernel
>> arguments so that what you feed to --kickstart is actually treated as a
>> preseed.   Ubuntu should work just the same.   I believe if you leave it
>> unmodified (no --breed parameter) the kernel arguments /might/ work with
>> Ubuntu's mutated version of kickstart also,  though you'll need to be
>> careful about what goes in the template.
>>

> Felt like the "cobbler import" should take the breed option, but it was rejected
> so I tried, an import without it:
>
>      sudo cobbler import --mirror=/mnt/iso1 --name=ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386

Expected.  ATM cobbler import does not support non Red Hat based
distros.   Support is not in plan -- at least not by me, anyway.
"cobbler distro add", however, does work thanks to patches already
submitted to add that support.

Should you be wanting to add other distro import capability, I welcome
patches -- something like action_foreign_import.py is probably a good
fit rather than trying to make the existing Red Hat-based import code
work elsewhere -- namely because it's already pretty complicated to
detect varying tree layouts and mirror sources and so forth.