[et-mgmt-tools] virt-p2v - does it support md and lvm

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Thu Apr 17 15:19:07 UTC 2008

Hi,

Does virt-p2v support LVM? The reason I ask is that I recently tried to
migrate a FC4 machine to a guest and it failed.

The machine disk configuration is as follows:

  - two physical disks
  - Each disk has two partitions of type "Linux raid autodetect"
  - md0 is made up of /dev/hde1 & /dev/hdf1
  - md1 is made up of /dev/hde2 and /dev/hdf2
  - md0 is used as /boot
  - md1 is an LVM PV.
  - All the PV is allocated to a VG named "VolGroup00"
  - The system file systems are LVs in VolGroup00:
     lv_home    VolGroup00 -wi-ao  5.00G
     lv_root    VolGroup00 -wi-ao  1.00G
     lv_swap_01 VolGroup00 -wi-ao  1.50G
     lv_usr     VolGroup00 -wi-ao  5.00G
     lv_var     VolGroup00 -wi-ao 61.88G

When asked to choose the partition containing the root fs, it showed me
two partitions, both labeled as "unknown".

Will the configuration work? Or does virt-2pv not support it?

R.