[et-mgmt-tools] Restarting xen guest after koan installation

Brenton Leanhardt bleanhar at redhat.com
Fri Apr 25 16:46:48 UTC 2008

I'm having trouble getting my Xen paravirt guests to reboot after
kickstarting via koan.  From what I hear on IRC this is possible
though I was not able to get it working with the kickstart that iranzo
kindly let me borrow.

Here's my configuration:
RHEL 5.1
koan-0.8.0-1.el5
xen-libs-3.0.3-41.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.el5
xen-3.0.3-41.el5

Fedora 8 with Cobbler 0.8.3

After looking at the koan and virtinst code I simply don't see how it
would be possible for the guest to be rebooted after installation.
What led me down the path of thinking this is not a problem with my
kickstart is that fact that at kickstart time 'virsh dumpxml <myDomU>'
shows that on_reboot is set to "destroy".  This appears to be the
desired behavior from looking at virtinst.  I tried changing virtinst
to restart after installation but the OS cmdline causes the guest to
get rekicked (that's probably why it's set to "destroy").  "restart"
in virtinst the OS cmdline.

Is there some magical flag to koan I'm missing to make rebooting
possible?  For my purposes I even looked into using libvirt to change
the DomU's in memory configuration at kickstart time.  That doesn't
seem to be possible from looking at the API (probably for good
reasons).

--Brenton