[et-mgmt-tools] koan network config patch

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 17:57:33 UTC 2008

Al Tobey wrote:
> The attached patch adds network configuration options to koan so that
> it will add them to the kernel command line with --autonet.   This
> makes it really trivial to install VM's with static networking from a
> profile.
>
> for vmnum in `seq -f%02g 0 99`
> do
>       let ip='vmnum + 16'
>       domU="myvm-${vmnum}"
>       koan -v -s cobbler -n -p centos5-xen -V $domU -P vgxen00 -A
> --ip=192.168.9.$ip --netmask=255.255.255.0 --gateway=192.168.9.1
> --hostname=$domU
> done
>
> While I could add the systems to cobbler with a similar loop then
> install using a system, I don't really want to track all of these VM's
> in cobbler.   Some are throw-away.  Some come and go too often for it
> to be useful.    "Just use DHCP" is not the answer, due to a number of
> issues, both technical and historical.
>
> -Al

Thanks for the patch!

I would perhaps change it to only override the settings that are
specified on the options line (i.e. not None), though this looks good to me.
I will look into applying this shortly for 0.9/1.0.

We also need to add the option for a few more overrides into koan, for
when the profile is mostly correct but the koan
user doesn't have access to change the profile.  I believe putting
--virt-type back in koan was one of those things.

This also provides a good opportunity to cleanup and expand the koan
docs with a few basic use cases.