[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler patch OMAPI v2 ;)

Pablo Iranzo Gómez Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 06:37:07 UTC 2008

	Morning!

El mar, 29-04-2008 a las 22:27 -0400, Michael DeHaan escribió:
> Should be applied Thursday or so barring any other comments, and that
> will make this easier for people to test.   I also need to do a test
> release for 0.9 soon (let's call this 0.9.1 ... there will be more test
> releases with some other features likely being added prior to the 1.0).

	Count with me for the beta-testing :)

> Quick question -- Should omapi in settings be off by default?  It only
> works with modifications to the dhcp.template to enable it -- though we
> /could/ enable that by default in the template and solve the problem.

	For me, as cobbler is rewriting dhcp info, should be enabled by
default. This could need another check for the code I submitted
yesterday to check if "manage dhcp is enabled for isc".

	For example, in trigger, the code is:

     if manage_dhcp_mode == "isc":
        if not omapi:
          if not omapi_port:
            rc = os.system("/sbin/service dhcpd restart")

	So, if manage mode is "ISC", and omapi is not enabled nor omapi_port,
then it does a restart.

	I don't think that this could hurt anyone if already using Cobbler for
managing DHCP, if not, system will just do the other tasks, but nothing
about DHCP

> Comments from folks who use Cobbler for DHCP management?
>
> The main goal of this is to keep DHCP running throughout sync operations
> -- but also to allow for less reasons to ever need to do "sync".  Since
> kickstart generation is now dynamic in 0.9/1.0, the only real reason to
> run sync is to rebuild some of the tftpboot tree, the rest of the
> "partial" data gets built each time you make a change to the associated
> objects (and all descendents automatically update).

	Well, regarding this, right now I had to put the new stanza for
cleaning leases just in case of machines removal. The best thing will be
to put the code in "cobbler system add" "cobbler system remove" and
"cobbler system rename" in order to just make this calls when needed,
remmoving the need for the "leases-cleanup code", as the systems will
get created on DHCP or removed dinamically.

> We can probably even make that less important as time goes on, by
> knowing basic things like if we add a profile, we can also quickly
> rebuild the pxemenus (since the number of profiles is going to be very
> small, etc).

	That would be a good point, in this way, cobbler state could just use
"sync" for forcing a full cobbler files recreation just to be sure,
remove possible problems, as all the other operations would get
inmediate action on system .

	Regards
	Pablo

PD: Attached patch adds an extra check to the DHCP leases cleanup code
to check if we're doing ISC

--

Pablo Iranzo Gómez (Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com)
RHCE/Global Profesional Services Consultant Spain