[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler in static IP landscape and existing KS

Liarte, Guillermo Guillermo.Liarte at Unilever.com
Fri Aug 8 09:38:33 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am going to run a proof of concept using Cobbler and I need some
advise as it differs substantially from the current scenario.

At the moment this is the way we build our new servers:

    We have a build server with httpd that contains the kickstart tree
and the kickstart configuration templates. We have an static website
where we enter the information for a new build ( ip, netmask, console
type, etc)  and it passes the variables to an script that builds the
kickstart file for that system feeding the template with the variables.
Then using ILO or similar, we boot from a minimum cd, and we do a normal
ks installation using http.

    That method has worked fine for RHEL3 and RHEL4 and people would
just make some changes in the scripts and collectors and a new version
could be used. However we don't mantain a decent documentation about
howto do any of this and I started doing some research about it, until I
found cobbler.

    What I need is Cobbler to be able to mantain my existing RHEL3 and 4
kickstart trees and kickstart templates ( we don't want to change them )
and also help me making more dynamic and diversified RHEL5 installations
in a tidy, structured way.

We are also willing to be able to upgrade  servers using koan ( or any
other method ).

I would like someone to recommend some material I could follow to
achieve this. No PXE, NoDHCP, NO Bind. We use static IPs.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Guillermo Liarte