[et-mgmt-tools] Re: [libvirt] Re: virsh/virt-install for dummies

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 14:33:57 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:25:21AM +0900, Jun Koi wrote:
>> Yes, that was a mistake. I changed -c to --connect, and get the error
>> "Unsupported virtualization type" now. How can I fix it?
>
> I've been bitten by this very same error message in virt-install.
> Took me absolutely ages to work out that I had to use the '--hvm'
> option.  It's a usability bug in virt-install, plain and simple.
> Attached is a patch which clarifies the error message.
>
> Rich.

Hmm, the patch you presented is actually for virt-image,
not virt-install. The current upstream for virt-install
should already have this resolved though, attempting to
remedy the issue in two ways:

1) If no virt type is specified, we default to the first
   capabilities entry matching the host's architecture.
   For xen this is PV, but for qemu (even w/ xenner
   present) this defaults to hvm with qemu hostarch
   binary.

2) The error message is now
   "Unsupported virtualization type %foo for arch %blah"
   Which will hopefully point out any errors.

That said we do need an equivalent change for ImageManager/
virt-image so I'll see about centralizing the current code
for use by both apps.

Thanks,
Cole