[et-mgmt-tools] Sysdirector

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 20:31:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 14:03 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> I think templating puppet recipes would be a bit too "meta".    I think
> that is what the Puppet "class" system is for, right?  To save what you
> did once to make it reusable?   So in that way I think they already have
> that.

Yeah, generating puppet manifests from templates quickly turns into
insanity. The puppet language should have enough features to make that
unnecessary.

If some part of a manifest do need to be generated dynamically, the
recommended way for that is to use export/collect in the puppet manifest
and write those dynamic resources directly to the database puppet uses
to back export/collect. But legitimate uses for that are far and few
between.

David