[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler in static IP landscape and existing KS

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 12:22:08 UTC 2008

Liarte, Guillermo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am going to run a proof of concept using Cobbler and I need some
> advise as it differs substantially from the current scenario.
>
> At the moment this is the way we build our new servers:
>
>     We have a build server with httpd that contains the kickstart
> tree and the kickstart configuration templates. We have an static
> website where we enter the information for a new build ( ip, netmask,
> console type, etc)  and it passes the variables to an script that
> builds the kickstart file for that system feeding the template with
> the variables. Then using ILO or similar, we boot from a minimum cd,
> and we do a normal  ks installation using http.
>
>     That method has worked fine for RHEL3 and RHEL4 and people would
> just make some changes in the scripts and collectors and a new version
> could be used. However we don't mantain a decent documentation about
> howto do any of this and I started doing some research about it, until
> I found cobbler.
>
>     What I need is Cobbler to be able to mantain my existing RHEL3 and
> 4 kickstart trees and kickstart templates ( we don't want to change
> them ) and also help me making more dynamic and diversified RHEL5
> installations in a tidy, structured way.
>

> We are also willing to be able to upgrade  servers using koan ( or any
> other method ).
>
> I would like someone to recommend some material I could follow to
> achieve this. No PXE, NoDHCP, NO Bind. We use static IPs.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Guillermo Liarte

Hi Guillermo,

Cobbler can definitely help with this and there are other users using it
with static configurations and existing kickstart-builders.     Since
we've moved Cobbler's mailing list recently so it could get it's own
space, could you please repost this question to
https://fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/cobbler ?  You will need
to sign up for the new list before you can post.

Thanks!