[et-mgmt-tools] Installing RHEL 2 (yes, "*2*") inside a F9 KVM VM...

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 21:55:51 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> I'm finding that RHEL 2 (last dot release) does not seem to have a
> virtual NIC of the type that Anaconda can discover.
>
> Has anyone tested EL2, and if so, should I be sending something extra
> down to python virtinst for that?
>
> --Michael

Actually I just committed some work to virtinst that may help solve
this issue.

Try running qemu-kvm manually and testing out the -nic models. Try
'qemu-kvm -hda /any/old/file -net nic,model=?' to see a list of the
available ones. See if you can find a model that works, and we can
trivially put it in the virtinst os database. So if someone in
the future tries

virt-install --os-type linux --os-variant rhel2.1 --blah ...

We can automatically set the correct network model.

Also, if you already have a rhel2.1 libvirt vm that isn't
working, check out /var/log/libvirt/qemu/{vmname}.log to
see what the qemu-kvm command line libvirt is generating,
so you can just swap out the model, rather than trying to
recreate the whole qemu-kvm cl from scratch.

- Cole