[et-mgmt-tools] Installing RHEL 2 (yes, "*2*") inside a F9 KVM VM...

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 22:00:10 UTC 2008

Cole Robinson wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>> I'm finding that RHEL 2 (last dot release) does not seem to have a
>> virtual NIC of the type that Anaconda can discover.
>>
>> Has anyone tested EL2, and if so, should I be sending something extra
>> down to python virtinst for that?
>>
>> --Michael
>>

> Actually I just committed some work to virtinst that may help solve
> this issue.
>
> Try running qemu-kvm manually and testing out the -nic models. Try
> 'qemu-kvm -hda /any/old/file -net nic,model=?' to see a list of the
> available ones. See if you can find a model that works, and we can
> trivially put it in the virtinst os database. So if someone in
> the future tries
>
> virt-install --os-type linux --os-variant rhel2.1 --blah ...
>
> We can automatically set the correct network model.
>
> Also, if you already have a rhel2.1 libvirt vm that isn't
> working, check out /var/log/libvirt/qemu/{vmname}.log to
> see what the qemu-kvm command line libvirt is generating,
> so you can just swap out the model, rather than trying to
> recreate the whole qemu-kvm cl from scratch.
>
> - Cole

Will do. (and this is something I'd like to see backported if possible.)

I'm not sure how much RHEL 2 is out there, but I'd rather it be running
virtually than non-virtually. I'm guessing Xen works fine though and
that is what most folks would be using now (probably would have heard of
it otherwise).