[et-mgmt-tools] Installing RHEL 2 (yes, "*2*") inside a F9 KVM VM...

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 22:29:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 06:21:58PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> I'm not passing down variant now for virtinst API calls (but can
> probably do this in a future
> release if the user supplies it). Is there a suggestion to just make it
> default to the compatible NIC that would
> be good for all Fedora/RHEL (or are there performance issues in doing
> this or something)?

That's the situation we've got already - we compile Xen and  KVM to use
the rtl8139 nic since that's the best lowest-common denominator. It was
a barely passable approach so far, but with VirtIO it is now past its sell
by date and we have to key off os type/variant. If we don't then we'll
be limiting guests to 1/100 of the their potential performance. Not cool

Daniel