[et-mgmt-tools] HVM installs are broken?

John Levon levon at movementarian.org
Wed Dec 3 17:23:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 04:50:36PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > This is a regression over previous releases, where -l works for both.
> > (And that was a good fix, since people *always* accidentally use -l
> > instead of -c and get very confused. Can it be fixed?
>
> That was a bug  in a previous release.

One of those bugs users love :)

> We need to have distinct meaning for them, because many distros images
> & hypervisors will support both kernel+initrd and BIOS based
> provisioning, so we need to be able to distinguish between them.

Isn't the correct solution to add another virt type (--hvm-whatever),
not make life miserable for the users?

At the *very* least, can't we decide whether to try kernel+initrd based
upon detected OS type? I have a queued patch that adds 'os_type' to each
of the OSDistro classes.

regards
john