[et-mgmt-tools] Creating a yum repo (via cobbler) from "scratch"?

Sandor W. Sklar ssklar at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 1 01:06:58 UTC 2008

I apologize in advance if my questions here are "dumb", but I'm kind
of new to this, and am trying to wrap my head around a lot of
information.

I've successfully  set up a basic cobbler (0.6.5) on an RHEL 5 server,
have imported a distro from the rhel-5.1-server-x86_64-dvd iso, and
have PXE booted and built a basic system from this cobbler server.
That I was able to do all of that in a day of work was amazing, and a
testament to the quality of all of the software involved.

My question is this: I'd like to set up a yum repository, available
from the cobbler server, containing a few RPMs that aren't available
from another repository (meaning, I'm not "mirroring" another
repository.)  One example would be that I want to have my own
repository of the IBM TSM client RPMs, which one only gets by FTPing
them from IBM's site:

$ ls -1 *.rpm
TIVsm-API64.i386.rpm
TIVsm-API.i386.rpm
TIVsm-BA.i386.rpm
TIVsm-HSM.i386.rpm

I'd like to have it so I could simply run "yum install tsm-client" on
a system built from my cobbler server, and have the above RPMs and
their dependencies (all included in rhel5 core) installed.  This
question might be best for a yum-specific list, but since cobbler has
repository mirroring integrated, I'd give it a shot here.  Is there an
easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
	-s-