[et-mgmt-tools] re: "invalid kernel" -- found the problem!

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 22:51:58 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan wrote:

>> Please do a netstat -alp | grep 25 when the xmlrpc gets b0rked. In my
>> case it *seems* that 25151 has been switched from python to dhcpd ?!?
>>
>> I am guessing that cobbler sync somehow mixes the ports sometimes, but I
>> also didn't have time to investigate.
>>

> That does not seem possible.    I can believe it flipping out due to
> connection problems though (again, should be much happier in 0.7.X due
> to the new exception handling code).

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about cobbler internals in particular, this is just
a general piece of information)

Actually, it is possible, but it's not due to "mixed up ports".  If cobbler has
port 25151 open -> accept, and then it forks/execs dhcpd, then dhcpd can inherit
that.  I'm not sure if that is the case here, but that is one way it can happen.

Chris Lalancette