[et-mgmt-tools] Re: Hello! I have been testing the latest version of virt-p2v

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 20:04:16 UTC 2008

Lester M. wrote:
[I'm CC-ing this to the et-mgmt-tools list since it's better if everyone
can follow these discussions]
> Looking over the configuration file...
>
> I see something strange in my config generated... Hmmm...
>

> *<emulator>/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm</emulator>*
>
> Heres the problem of the above: This is a 32bit dom0 and the above path
> / binary does not exist on the box.
>

> However, this *does *exist in "/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm".... going to
> test it with this in the config. .... Works! woo hoo!

Ah right, that's actually a bug in the code around here (line 1384 in
the current development version):

  let devices =
    let emulator =
      match state.hypervisor with
      | Some Xen ->
	[leaf "emulator" "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"] (* XXX lib64? *)

The fix for this is for virt-p2v to connect to the remote hypervisor
(using libvirt/libvirtd) and issue a virConnectGetCapabilities call.  In
the capabilities XML there is the correct emulator path.

However I haven't got around to this yet.

> Interesting minor configuration error. Something to ask what
> architecture (i386 or x86_64) at the begining of the p2v could fix that
> based on a user choice, That seemed to fix it! :-D
>
> I have a few other machines I can test addendums to virt-p2v. Not
> everyone uses 64 bit dom0's even though everyone should. :-)

Please do!

Rich.