[et-mgmt-tools] Have 1 cobbler server know about boxes built by another

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 17:27:58 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> In my situation i have a 'build' network where bare metal gets done -
> Once this is built it is moved into the correct network whether that
> be dev, qa or prod or whatever. Once in those networks they can be
> rebuild, using koan, by build machines in those networks, we dont
> allow machines to straddle networks hence having different build
> machines in each network. Is there a way to let other cobbler servers
> know that a box is build using a different cobbler server?

You can solve that problem in a different way, without having to keep
track of things.   Basically cobbler doesn't keep inventory of what you
have installed so that is up to you.   However I'm not sure that's a
problem.

> ie bare metal server tells prod server about all its machines so that
> prod server can rebuild them?
>
> does that make sense?

An approach many sites take is to create on master cobbler server, and
replicate other Cobbler install servers off of it using
--server-override and --dhcp-tag.  You can have master profiles and then
inherit subprofiles off of them like this:

profile1
    datacenter1-profile1 (--inherit from profile1)
    datacenter2-profile1

With the only difference is the prod versions point to different cobbler
servers.

As many folks are doing this, one of my goals is to get some
documentation together on different ways to do multiple-cobbler server
rollouts to make that easier, including instructions on how to most
easily replicate config files and install trees.