[et-mgmt-tools] Have 1 cobbler server know about boxes built by another

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 18:49:26 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> Typically you tell koan what profile/system record you want to
>> install, then koan fetches the data on that profile/system from the
>> cobbler server you specify with --server.
>>
>> If you use --autodetect-system it will ask the cobbler server if a
>> system has been configured with one of the matching MAC addresses,
>> which is useful if you want to write a generic reinstall script.
>>

> yep - so i wonder where the mac is stored on the server?

koan just checks the results of ifconfig.

> Surely if i 'share'' this info then the same build can be done from
> any server (providing servers are setup identically) ?

yes.

You can share the contents of /var/lib/cobbler but replace the server
address in the settings file (/var/lib/cobbler/settings) -- if you leave
the address
the same things won't work.

The alternative is to do the inherited profile approach with the
--server-override flags and use different profiles based on location,
though that grows a bit more complex.

In the next few weeks, I'll see about putting up some suggested
workflows for doing this on the Wiki and folks can contribute how their
various setups
are configured when they have more than one cobbler server.