[et-mgmt-tools] user access to virt-manager guests

Bob Tennent rdtennent at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:32:01 UTC 2008

 >|> Hi. Is it possible to allow non-root users to access a guest operating
 >|> system? Once the guest is set up, it should be possible to choose to
 >|> allow the guest to look after its own security and authentication. As
 >|> far as I can see, this isn't now possible. Perhaps some /etc/sudoers
 >|> incantation?  The difficulty is that virt-manager is used both
 >|> to set up *and* to use guests; those functions should be separated.
 >|
 >|Users can access the guest via SSH (or any network login service
 >|running inside the guest), or they can use a standalone viewer program
 >|like virt-viewer to access the graphical console without needing admin
 >|privileges.

I want to be able to "connect" and initiate a guest in a *script* (so
it can be done automatically when the host boots), and then allow users
(without admin privileges) to access the guest graphically. Is this a
reasonable mode of operation? If so, how do I do it? If I call qemu-kvm
directly the -nographic option doesn't seem to do what I expect. And I
don't know how to use virt-viewer to view a guest initiated directly
rather than by using virt-manager.

If this kind of stuff is explained somewhere in documentation I haven't
managed to find, please refer me to it and my apologies for using the
mail-list inappropriately. It might be helpful if the list archives were
searchable.

Bob T.