[et-mgmt-tools] Re-usage of existing disks/virt-install

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 15:02:27 UTC 2008

Alexander Todorov wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been using a shell script to help me with some testing which installs the
> same Xen guest over and over again. Now I've noticed that in
> python-virtinst-0.300.2-3.fc8 there's new functionality. virt-install will check
> if the file exists and ask to overwrite, then it will ask if you want to use the
> same file if it's being used by another guest (in my case inactive).
>
> That's breaking the cli by making it interactive. This has impact on old scripts
> which do not require further interaction.
>
> Can we consider a --yes or a similar option to deal with this problem?
> Any opinions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander.

Complete agreement here, I actually cooked up something similar to this a while
ago and posted it to the list, but never committed it. There should probably
be an option to answer yes where applicable, but also an option to outright fail
on any prompt.

Something like --noprompt={fail,yes}, defaults to fail. Unfortunately this doesn't
look very intuitive but my brain isn't thinking of anything cleaner at the moment.

- Cole