[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler-PXE-Kickstart

Steve Pearson steve.pearson at prodeasystems.com
Wed Feb 27 17:57:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have some very basic questions on this relationship. I have read
through the Cobbler man page and some of the other available
information. I plan to setup a RHEL5 Cobbler server to do a PXE based
network installation of several servers. Here are my questions:

1)      What network protocol is used to do the actual network OS
installation? This detail seems to be missing from the docs but from
what I have read it appears to be http...I am wanting to know how the
PXE client accesses the files on the cobbler server.

2)      I am going to Import a loop mounted DVD iso for my RHEL5 distro
(so I do not have to expand the install tree). I plan to use Kickstart
Configurator to generate unique kickstarts...I may use ks templating
later.  In the ks file, what do I put for "Installation Method" (CD,
NFS, HTTP, Hard-drive)? If I choose HTTP, what path do I use for the
"HTTP Directory"? It is supposed to be the location of the "Server"
directory from the distro but since I used iso's I do not have one. Will
Cobbler explode the iso and create an Install Tree in /var/www/cobbler?
If so I can specify that dir...

Sorry, I know I could do some experimenting but do not have the setup
for this yet and am in planning stage. Understanding some of these
basics will help me out greatly.

Thanks!

Steve Pearson

System Engineering

Prodea Systems

214.278.1805
www.prodeasystems.com

This message is confidential to Prodea Systems, Inc unless otherwise
indicated
or apparent from its nature. This message is directed to the intended
recipient
only, who may be readily determined by the sender of this message and
its
contents. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended
recipient:(a)any dissemination or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited; and(b)immediately notify the sender by return message and
destroy
any copies of this message in any form(electronic, paper or otherwise)
that you
have.The delivery of this message and its information is neither
intended to be
nor constitutes a disclosure or waiver of any trade secrets,
intellectual
property, attorney work product, or attorney-client communications. The
authority of the individual sending this message to legally bind Prodea
Systems
is neither apparent nor implied,and must be independently verified.

Steve Pearson

System Engineering

Prodea Systems

214.278.1805