[et-mgmt-tools] Working on VMware support for cobbler/koan..

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 23:08:08 UTC 2008

I'm working on adding VMware support for koan.   Obviously it's not Free
as in Speech, but it's widely deployed, and I think that
would be a nice addition to the idea for further abstracting out
provisioning infrastructure.

Most likely this will work by allowing cobbler to keep track of CD ISO's
in the "distro" objects.

So we'll be able to do things like:
    cobbler distro edit --name=RHEL5 --rescuecd=/path/*.iso
    cobbler profile edit --name=RHEL5-examplefoo --virt-type=vmware
    # on the remote system
    koan --server=cobbler.example.com --virt --profile=examplefoo

Once we do this (and are able to represent ISO file tracking), we can
also support Xen Fullvirt without the need
for PXE infrastructure (which means potentially being able to install
non-Linux distros also as well as support
appliance-like stuff, though we may need a few more options there as
that rolls on).

Comments/ideas welcome...

In other news, vmware server is really annoying to setup compared to
Xen/KVM :)