[et-mgmt-tools] Bogus heuristics in virt-manager

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 15:16:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 04:11:31PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've run into a very annoying issue in virt-manager.
>
> I primarily use libvirt to manage kvm sessions at qemu:///system. I do
> this as my regular user on my system (I have write access to the
> appropriate libvirtd socket). If I hand craft the XML describing my
> virtual machine, I can connect to virtual networks, bridge onto the
> existing LAN, etc. I can also set up new virtual networks and basically
> anything else that root can do. However, virt-manager still treats me as
> a lowly user with no particular privileges. This is because
> virt-manager's code is full of (os.getuid() == 0) checks, which in my
> case are completely wrong.

Yep, these checks are all targetted for removal. Basically they fall
into a couple of categories:

 - Checking OS state /proc/xen, /sysfs /dev/kvm to see what HV
   capabilities/properties you can use. These are targetted to
   replacement with the virConnectGetCapabilities() APIs

 - Creating/managing storage. These are targetted for replacement
   with the forthcoming storage management APIs

 - Enumerating network devices. TBD.

I've been doing some preparatory work in virtinst, to get ready for the
first point in virt-manager. The storage stuff is active work in progress
too. Once these are addressed there should be no use of anything in the
python  'os.'  module, and thus  no  getuid() checks anywhere.

Regards,
Dan.