[et-mgmt-tools] EPEL/Scientific Linux [WAS: "Crash" of cobbler on x86_64 machine]

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 15:51:25 UTC 2008

Vladimir Fekete wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:37:52AM -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>>> which is true, because after last upgrade python was in version 2.3.4 but
>>> this is problem of ScientificLinux.
>>>
>> You could of course just do rpmbuild --rebuild on the cobbler src RPM.
>>
>> Cobbler does not require that particular Python ABI.
>>

> I don't want to spend
> 95% of my life with searching for correct dependency version and correct
> dependency version for previous dependency, e.t.c....

You seem to be saying that the packages in the EPEL 4/5 tree do not work
for Scientific Linux?

I'm finding this a bit strange, as EPEL is intended to work for that
distro and this is the first I've heard of
that.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/About#head-7f5c56add93b7a549e24150cc4e0183aefc9120b

> Next problem is upgrade of the system (=upgrade of dependencies => new build
> which does not have to work, because of new features which may need new
> stuff you don't know about, so you spend 6 nights just to check what you
> really need). Also I'd like to add, that it should be responsibility of
> maintainer to keep things running for given platform.

If your SL can't use the EPEL packages, it would be best to bring it up
with those lists.

> Besides, if the highest version of application in specific distribution
> is so old that it cannot work with rest of the distro then it's time to think
> about another distribution. (As I said in previous mail, problem is already solved:
> Debian+tftp server+pxe... without problem)

Cobbler is not just TFTP. If all you need is a simple /tftpboot tree, of
course, you can use whatever you like.
Of course your current distro already contains a tftp server as well :)