[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler-1.0.1-2 - build problem using koan

Adam Rosenwald thestrider at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 11:43:38 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> Yes.  DHCP is needed, since your system hasn't been assigned an IP
>> address and can only identify itself by MAC.  The network portion of
>> your kickstart file will ensure that a static IP will be assigned to
>> eth0 only AFTER the kickstart file has been downloaded.
>>
>>     * Set 'manage_dhcp=1' in /etc/cobbler/settings (or
>>       /var/lib/cobbler/settings if using an older version of cobbler).
>>     * In the dhcp template file (/etc/cobbler/dhcp.template) ensure
>>       that you have configured a stanza for the subnet corresponding
>>       to that of your provisioned system.
>>           o E.g.
>>                 + ...
>>                 + subnet 10.x.x.x netmask 255.255.254.0 {
>>                        option routers          10.x.x.253;
>>                        option subnet-mask      255.255.254.0;
>>                        filename                "/pxelinux.0";
>>                        next-server             $next_server;
>>                   }
>>                 + ...
>>           o Just be sure there are no 'range dynamic-bootp',
>>             'default-lease-time', or 'max-lease-time' statements,
>>             since you are probably concerned about dynamic IP
>>             assignments in a prod environment.
>>     * When provisioning your system with cobbler, specify *both* a MAC
>>       address *and* an IP address, so that the host stanza in
>>       /etc/dhcpd.conf is unique and not dependent upon dynamic options.
>>
>> Give it a whirl and reply with any updates. :)
>>

> OK thanks for the update i am a bit confused though as i thought that
> using koan i could _reinstall_ a system without the need for DHCP and
> PXE - The simple fact is that right now i cant use DHCP in this
> specific network and so using koan to rebuild, and thats the key i
> think i am rebuilding a current running OS not bare metal, to contact
> the cobbler server.
>
> Koan contacts the cobbler server and i thought, and it seems correct,
> that it builds a minimal boot kernel, this boots with IP info and then
> the kickstart is downloaded negating the need for DHCP. I do similar
> things in another network to rebuild people's VM's running on laptops
> etc that are not covered in my DHCP setup and they rebuild fine, the
> only issue is that this is a new server and o cant seem to figure out
> whats wrong.
>
> i'd like to know if i've had a misconception about koan all this time ;)
>
> thanks
OK.  Something is definitely missing here.  Notice how
(http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/kickstart/) GRUB
contains options for setting the IP address, netmask, and gateway for
the system you intend to boot.  These arguments are /*not*/ set in
/your/ grub configuration.  As to why they are not, either you didn't
specify them during your cobbler system provisioning OR there is some
kind of a bug in koan's 'reprovision' logic.  Likely the former.  Please
double check that you specified

cobbler .... --ip=X --subnet=Y --gateway=Z ...

in your provision command.

-A.