[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler-1.0.1-2 - build problem using koan

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 14:05:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:20 AM, Tom Brown <tom at ng23.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I cant use DHCP yet in my prd environment but i can use koan so i can have
> cobbler rebuild existing hosts.
>
> I have setup a cobbler server and added a test system to that but i
> encounter an issue when i try and build using koan in that after the client
> reboots and boots the 'kick' kernel it seems unable to get the kickstart as
> it starts to ask me which ethernet card to use and also then tries to do a
> DHCP request.

Which OS are you trying to replace it with? There are a couple of
possible items:

1) The ethernet card is not detected easily.. or you have multiple
cards and it could not contact the cobbler server so it tried to probe
for other ethernet systems. Our Dell 2950's have this problem.. on
installation eth0 is eth1 and vice versa.

> If i hit the URL that generates the kickstart it seems fine and the network
> part looks like this apart from the xxxxxx and the 'cobbler.server' hostname
>
> # Use network installation
> url --url=http://cobbler.server/cblr/links/RHEL4-u5-i386
> # Network information
> network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 --onboot=on --ip=10.xxx.xxx.19
>  --netmask=255.255.254.0 --gateway=10.xxx.xxx.253
> --nameserver=10.xxx.xxx.117 --hostname=xxxxxxxx
>
> In the grub config on the client before i reboot i see this
>
> title kick1214906905
>   root (hd0,0)
>   kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/
> ks=http://cobbler.server/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/xxxxxxxx
>   initrd /initrd.img
>
> and the 'cobbler.server' can be resolved from the client using the correct
> nameserver -
>
> Does anyone have any ideas whats going on as i am stuck?
>
> thanks

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux