[et-mgmt-tools] Anyone have a bonding device setup working with virt-manager?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 15:47:23 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Back in February, support for checking bonding and vlan devices was
added to virt-manager, and released in version 0.5.4. I'm curious if
anyone has a working setup with this code?

Reason I ask is that I backported this code to rhel5.2 and it doesn't
seem to work, because of the following bit:

+    def _net_get_bonding_masters(self):
+        masters = []
+        f = open("/sys/class/net/bonding_masters")
+        while True:
+            rline = f.readline()
+            if not rline: break
+            if rline == "\x00": continue
+            rline = rline.strip("\n\t")
+            masters = rline[:-1].split(' ')
                             ^^^
                          this piece
+        return masters

For some reason the last character is stripped off, which breaks all
the setups I've tested on. Clearly this must have worked for someone
at some time, so I would be curious to get some help from someone with
a working setup, since there must be some middle ground that can work
for both parties. I've tried contacting the original author but haven't
received a response.

This code is from:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virt-manager--devel?cs=6a155cfe437c

Thanks,