[et-mgmt-tools] strange virt-install/koan issue

Brenton Leanhardt bleanhar at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 00:05:16 UTC 2008

I've recently upgraded a machine to F9 (fresh install) and I'm hitting
a strange virt-install/koan issue.  The machine is i386 and HVM is
enabled in the BIOS.

Running "virt-install" with no arguments yields: "Unsupported
virtualization type".  Running with the "--hvm" flag works as
expected.  In the past virt-install had always done the right thing
whenever KVM was the only option.

The only reason I suspect my koan problem is related is simply because
of the error message, and that koan uses virt-install.  The Virt host
is running F9 with KVM.  Here is the output from koan:

koan -s [my cobbler server] --virt --virt-type=qemu
--virt-path=/images --profile Fedora9-i386  --virt-name=bleanhar1-koan
--virt-bridge=br0       - reading URL:
http://10.11.227.63/cblr/svc/op/ks/profile/Fedora9-i386
install_tree: http://10.11.227.63/cblr/links/Fedora9-i386
libvirtd (pid 2897) is running...
- using qemu hypervisor, type=kvm
- adding disk: /images/bleanhar1-koan-disk0 of size 5
libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found
libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found
libvir: QEMU error : internal error unsupported architecture
...<snip>
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line
866, in _do_install
     self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 841, in
createLinux
     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)

Any thoughts on what could cause the "Unsupported virtualization type"
and the "unsupported architecture" errors?  I've already triple
checked that the guest being installed is i386 and that "virt-install
--hvm" actually works.

--Brenton