[et-mgmt-tools] Re: strange virt-install/koan issue

Brenton Leanhardt bleanhar at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 12:38:43 UTC 2008

+++ Brenton Leanhardt [16/07/08 08:19 -0400]:
> +++ Brenton Leanhardt [15/07/08 20:05 -0400]:
>> I've recently upgraded a machine to F9 (fresh install) and I'm hitting
>> a strange virt-install/koan issue.  The machine is i386 and HVM is
>> enabled in the BIOS.
>>
>> Running "virt-install" with no arguments yields: "Unsupported
>> virtualization type".  Running with the "--hvm" flag works as
>> expected.  In the past virt-install had always done the right thing
>> whenever KVM was the only option.
>
> I must have been confused about the virt-install functionality.  After
> a quick look at the code it looks like it simply defaults to 'xen' for
> the os_type whenever you don't specify '--hvm' on the command line,
> hence the "Unsupported virtualization type" error.
>
> Now to debug the error from koan since all the virt-install stuff was
> really just yak shaving.
>>
>> The only reason I suspect my koan problem is related is simply because
>> of the error message, and that koan uses virt-install.  The Virt host
>> is running F9 with KVM.  Here is the output from koan:
>>
>> koan -s [my cobbler server] --virt --virt-type=qemu
>> --virt-path=/images --profile Fedora9-i386  --virt-name=bleanhar1-koan
>> --virt-bridge=br0       - reading URL:
>> http://10.11.227.63/cblr/svc/op/ks/profile/Fedora9-i386
>> install_tree: http://10.11.227.63/cblr/links/Fedora9-i386
>> libvirtd (pid 2897) is running...
>> - using qemu hypervisor, type=kvm
>> - adding disk: /images/bleanhar1-koan-disk0 of size 5
>> libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found
>> libvir: QEMU error : Domain not found
>> libvir: QEMU error : internal error unsupported architecture ...<snip>
>>    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line
>> 866, in _do_install
>>     self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
>>    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 841, in
>> createLinux
>>     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
>> conn=self)
>>

>> Any thoughts on what could cause the "Unsupported virtualization type"
>> and the "unsupported architecture" errors?  I've already triple
>> checked that the guest being installed is i386 and that "virt-install
>> --hvm" actually works.
>>
>> --Brenton

I've attached the xml Koan is passing to virtinst.  I can take koan
out of the picture and simply try to create the guest with virsh and I
get the exact same error.  Here's more host info:

[root at dhcp227-200 ~]# uname -a
Linux dhcp227-200.rdu.redhat.com 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Mon Jul
7 20:46:03 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root at dhcp227-200 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5410  @ 2.33GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2327.632
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr dca sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4657.93
clflush size    : 64

There are a total of 8 processors, but their info is all the same
obviously.