[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler: defining network profiles

James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov
Mon Jun 2 18:53:55 UTC 2008

Greetings folks.  I was working out a RFE with mpdehaan in #cobbler this
morning, and he thought I should post it here to get other folks input.

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/ticket/164

I think it would be a great addition to be able to define network profiles
for systems/profiles, etc.

A network profile would consist of :

subnet mask default gateway dns server

I picture it working like this:

On the CLI:

First you would define your network profile with the appropriate addresses.

cobbler add network foonet --netmask=255.255.255.0 --gateway=192.168.1.1
--dns1=192.168.1.10 --domain=mylab.mycompany.com

Secondly, when adding a new system, there is the new option of "--network".
So for system foo, which belonged to the foonet, you would do:

cobbler system add foo --network=foonet ip=192.168.101 --hostname=foo

This would become very handy especially if you have to re-ip your network,
and its also a nice short cut.

In the background, my guess is that the information is still stored the
same way, and if a network profile is changed, systems that use it are
synced whenever a cobbler sync occurs.

In the webui, there would be an option for adding network profiles, and a
drop down for select the network profiles when adding a system.

James S. Martin, RHCE
Contractor
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
Washington, DC
(202) 502-2394