[et-mgmt-tools] Help debugging Cobbler's syslog support

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Sat Jun 21 02:44:55 UTC 2008

Brenton Leanhardt wrote:
> Yesterday I hit some problem with a new kickstart. While trying to
> debug the issue I realized Cobbler's syslog support was no longer
> working for me. Unfortunately I don't know when it stopped working,
> only that it was indeed working for me a few weeks ago. Basically
> nothing shows up under /var/log/cobbler/{kicklog,syslog}.
> My setup:
>
> Version: Cobbler 1.1.0 (built from git)
> Fedora 8 using rsyslog
> Kernel: 2.6.21-2950.fc8xen #1 SMP Tue Oct 23 12:24:34 EDT 2007 i686
> i686 i386
> GNU/Linux
> No firewall
> Cobbler syslog port: 25150 (It's indeed listening on all interfaces)
>
> I also couldn't figure out what virsh command would show me the
> kernel_options for my running guest. That would help me verify it's
> using the correct hostname/port. If anyone has any idea of where else
> I could look to debug this I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> --Brenton

 From cobbler system dumpvars --name=foo

'kernel_options': {'ksdevice': 'eth0',
'kssendmac': None,
'lang': ' ',
'syslog': '127.0.0.1:25150',
'text': None},

It's possible that something is broken in cobbler and could have been
for some time, judging from when I've last seen this on my box. You
should see the syslog bit in kernel options.

If you want to debug around the code, it's "do_syslog" in cobblerd.py.
Pulling out wireshark might be helpful, though may not be neccessary.

File a bug on this in Trac if you haven't already... this does look
broken to me. Should be easy enough to find/fix.